Tuesday, July 16, 2013

On Buying Gifts

Do you all buy gifts in advance of birthdays, anniversaries and weddings? 

Okay I'll admit, I'm OCD about it.  I try to look at my calendar at least a month ahead and start thinking about what to give.  I feel like I owe it to the recipient to really think about something they'd like.  Plus, I'm a planner.  I mean I do not operate spur of the moment for things like this.  Most weeks I'm on the road for work, therefore I must take advantage of the days I am in the office and get those things done.

I go to Hallmark or Dollar General once a month or once every two months and get about $40 worth of cards.  I try to prep all of those on a random Sunday afternoon so then I just slip it in the mail when it's time.

For weddings, when I get the invitation, I RSVP immediately, then I keep the invitation out and ship a gift to the bride's home (most of the time!) right away.  This is the easiest way to do it for the bride and for me.  That way, it's just done, she doesn't have to get someone to carry it out of her reception and I don't have to worry about it getting there safely!

How do you do your gift buying?!

7 comments:

  1. Yup, I try and plan ahead!!! Particularly around Christmas - I don't want to stress during the fun, festive holiday time. I am usually done w/buying gifts by Thanksgiving!!!

    I keep birthdays of important people in my planner and try to send cards in advance. My mom was like you with buying LOTS Of cards all at once, just to be sure you had one on hand to send out!

    I am having two showers and we've been getting some gifts from our registry at home. Once they arrive, I instantly write a thank you note and then track the present/thank you note in an Excel (I'm loony). I just want to make sure I don't forget to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are one organized gift giver! I keep a running list on my computer of hints my mom, dad, and boyfriend have said of things they like, that way when an occasion comes around I have an idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your perfectionist attitude!! and that wrapping is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, you make me feel so much better! I love to buy gifts in advance. Sometimes I get stuck buying gifts at the last minute, and it ends up really stressing me out. For my bridal shower, my mom's friend gave me a book to track everyone's birthdays, anniversaries, etc., and I try to prepare based on that at the beginning of each month. I think the husband thinks I'm crazy, but it's the only way I can keep up!

    http://happinessinacircularmotion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I buy cards in advance too and when I hit a big sale I think about who has a birthday, wedding coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am terrible with cards. I'm going to have to try your method! I do the same with wedding gifts. I hate bringing them to weddings with me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am huge on gift giving, but I'm also huge on finding the perfect gift for someone. I don't like to just buy "something" to have a gift. Sometimes I'll even end up giving a gift late, because I am waiting to figure out or find the perfect present!

    ReplyDelete