Wednesday, July 20, 2011

All About Hair

Today I thought it would be fun to share my hair process with yall in hopes you'll leave yours in the comment section so we can all get ideas!

I swear by the Aveda Smooth Infusion shampoo.  And yes I buy the jumbo bottle when it is 20% off at Modern (which is where I get my hair cut).  Since I only wash my hair every other or every 2-3 days, I can validate using a little nicer shampoo when I do.  It has really made a difference in my hair!  I typically go through a big bottle a year. 

And of course I love the conditioner too.  I end up putting this in at the beginning of my shower (right after shampoo) so it stays in for a few extra minutes and helps the ends of my hair stay looking better!

I do a major towel dry to get most of the water out but then I turn it over to the ever so amazing T3 hair dryer from Bespoke Labs.  Let me tell yall, I have way too much hair but this thing dries it in record time.  I take it with me on long trips because I cannot handle waiting for the hotel dryer to dry my hair.  It would take 30 minutes!  This thing gets special treatment when it travels - always in my carry on!  ;)

Lately instead of just a free-for-all blow dry then straightening, I've been using a large round brush and drying it in sections.  It's been a lot better for my hair instead of frying it straight with my chi.  Oh did I mention that I have curly hair naturally?  I do! 

I'm obsessed with my chi.  I understand there are other straighteners out there that may do better but this thing has done me right.  I've had it since college (so at least 6-7 years) and it's never once acted up.  The key to using a straightener and actually getting your hair straight is to do it in sections and as you move it down your hair, follow it with a comb.  This is essential and smooths out your hair so well!  This also gets special treatment on trips - it's with my T3 in my carry on!

I finish my hair off with the Aveda Emollient which sooths it and takes away most of the flyaways.  It just looks more complete and polished when I use this.
So tell me about your hair routine and what you use!  I've heard of some girls who order WEN and swear by it, some girls that use products from Tarjay and everything in between.  I'd love to hear what works for you!  And of course let me know if you have any questions about my routine!

9 comments:

  1. Great tips! I'm not picky about what shampoo I use but I love Redken's curl spray when I leave my hair in it's wavy state. I have really thick hair that takes forever to dry so I may have to look into that hair dryer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had my Chi for 8 years now and it has never let me down. Best straightener ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your hair routine! I love hearing about others to get ideas for myself. I swear by Paul Mitchell shampoo and conditioner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't use fancy shampoo at all, but maybe I should try your suggestions...I have thick curly hair too, and I also straighten mine!

    I need a new hair dryer...maybe I will look for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am obsessed with "simply U" shampoo from walmart it is sulfate and paraben free, CHEAP and WONDERFUL it has made such a difference in my hair. I also use moroccan oil and mix a drop of jojoba oil in with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'm going to have to start trying Aveda products, since everyone seems to be talking about them! I usually use Fekkai volumizing shampoo and conditioner, then finish up with Frizz-Ease products. I love hearing what everyone else uses!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I color my hair I use Nexxus Dualiste volume/color and when my hair isn't freshly colored I use a few different brands of volumizing shampoo. My hair gets dull when I use the same shampoo/conditioner over & over again.

    I really should spend more time drying it and using a brush to style it as I dry, but oh well.

    It is fun to see what other people do with their hair!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been using John Frieda Root Awakening shampoo and conditioner for over a year now and love it. Other than that I don't do much. I blow dry it sometimes and very rarely straighten..I'm lucky and have very naturally straight hair so I don't have to dry it--a big tip I would have for anyone though is to let it air dry whenever possible, even if it's just one day a week! Your ends will thank you for it--since growing my hair out, I've been only trimming my hair every 4-6 months to a) speed up the growth process) and b) because my hair is so healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooh i might have to try the aveda line -- i have always heard great things!! right now i'm using joico but i'm ready to change it up :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete