Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Global Entry

I've been fortunate enough to have TSA PreCheck since it came out a couple of years ago.  US Air  (and other airlines) selected their most frequent travelers to "try it out" by having a quick background check then getting the designation of TSA PreCheck.  Basically I go through a special security line (much shorter) at the airport and don't have to take my computer or liquids out or shoes off.  They also have the metal detectors turned down so my boots don't set it off.

Anyway, the airlines now give it to others if they are traveling domestically to "try it out."  Nothing drives me crazier than getting up to the check and someone is in the TSA PreCheck line that doesn't know to have their license out.  Clearly they were given this as a special one time thing.  Still, they shouldn't be allowed to be in that line and hold up the business travelers. 

Recently I decided it'd be a good idea for me to get Global Entry.  It's a one time $100 fee and is good for 5 years.  When re-entering the USA, I don't have to go through customs anymore.  I just scan my passport and my fingerprints.  Done.  

This also gives me permanent TSA PreCheck which I already had.  To be honest, Kevin really needs to get Global Entry to make this meaningful for me.  I had to wait 3 months for my face to face meeting which was this past Friday.  The wait for Charlotte is SO long.  I've heard you can walk into other airports and just get it done.  

So you all know where they ask you your known traveler number when you do your profile as you book a flight?  This is that number.  

All in all, doesn't change my weekly travel much at all but now I have it.  

5 comments:

  1. I don't think I fly enough to qualify (just a few times a year) but I would love that status! I hate having to take all my stuff out at security.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In NYC you just walk in --- except LGA is 20 minutes away by taxi (both ways, woof $$$) and JFK is even further. J has precheck I believe but is thinking about global entry, as well. It saves SO much time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work for the government and I get to go through the short line. It is awesome! Makes flying a tad easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jealous! Must look into this as I travel from CLT to DC quite frequently!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have my interview next month. The wait in Dallas is also about 3 months. I forced my husband to do it as well since we usually travel together. I look forward to zipping through customs!

    ReplyDelete