Wednesday, June 25, 2014

5 Steps to Morning Exercise

I posted the below picture on my Instagram this week and one friend asked me to do a post on motivation of running/exercising.


Step One: get out of bed early in the morning.  
I used to despise mornings.  Ask my Mom about when I was in high school and she refused to keep taking me unless I'd get up earlier (I would have had to walk or ride the bus - gasp!).  To this day I hate mornings but I can't find any more time in the day to do it.  So, do it early, no excuses.

Getting out of bed is the hardest part of the exercise.
Trust me, at 5:15am I have to murmur to myself, "get your tail out of bed right this second" then I do it.  Just do it!  

I've done it still drinky from the night before, I've done it after four hours of sleep, I've done it after I had two 16 hour work days prior, I've done it when I was up all night not sleeping.  I've done it when it's raining outside and all you want to do is stay under those warm covers.

Step Two - meet a friend.  She will hold you accountable.  You can't not show up if you have her waiting on you.  If you have a friend in your neighborhood to run/walk with, great.  If you have a friend meeting you at Flywheel, great.  If you have a class at the gym, great.  If you meet a free exercise group like FiA in Charlotte, great. Anything.  It's just a lot easier to get up when you can't have the excuse of "oh I'll just do it later in the day or oh I don't feel like it."  And PS - you morning exercise ladies - no running in the dark by yourself, ahem Nicole.

Step Three - set your clothes out the night before and fill your water bottle and put it in the fridge.  Eliminate any excuses and things that take extra time.  That way you can set your alarm for 10 minutes before you need to be out the door.

Step Four - log in to My Fitness Pal if you have an iPhone 5 and go to Settings, Steps and turn Steps on.  This is an easy pedometer that you don't have to wear but everywhere your phone goes, it counts your steps.  It's fun to see your steps after your exercise.  It's the little things.

Step Five - come home and zip into the shower to get ready for the day.  I'm sure you laid out your work outfit and packed your breakfast/lunch the night before so you don't have to worry about that.  Best part - you are DONE your exercise for the rest of the day.  You can have your whole evening to do something fun or worry about your family priorities.  




11 comments:

  1. Morning is the best. I've been a slacker for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are such great tips!! I have a post scheduled about trying to become a morning person haha! I've been working on it, because I want to get my exercise done in the morning, but I have such a hard time not hitting that snooze button!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm awful about morning exercise (or exercise in general). Thanks for the tips. I need to get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing how spot on your post is today. After a 3 month hiatus,yesterday I started back walking. I agree with all of your comments. The main thing to remember is the reward/benefits of your effort and how well you feel after your walk or run. If you ever come to Danville, Va. let me know. I would love to meet you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really need to get into this routine, especially since I have a gym in my apartment building and therefore 0 excuses to get up and moving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I seriously need to do this more often. By time I get home from work, after sitting in my car for 45 minutes, the last thing I want to do is go workout.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true! I do early mornings several days a week - 5:15 too! And have the same mindset as you. Wished we lived close enough to run together sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do all of those but #4! Haing a friend hold you accountable is key. And so is getting it over with in the morning so you don't have the "im tired after work" excuse!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really don't think someone as large as you is qualified to give advice on this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this - exactly the "umph" I needed! Thanks so much :) Now, let's see if I can make it happen...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think I could manage morning workouts during the school year...I would drag all day long! Now that it's summer though, I've been getting up and jogging a few mornings a week before nannying. It is so nice! I definitely need to make exercise a more consistent routine!

    ReplyDelete