Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Mamahood

This post is honestly sparked by a conversation I had with someone recently that quite frankly ticked me off! I raged about it for a few days but then got over it, confident that I'm doing it the way I think is right. THANK GOODNESS!

Essentially this other Mom (who has older kids) raised her children in way different times than we are raising our children in. I hate the comparison, honestly, but I do think social media has changed the way we have to raise our children in some ways. Not all but some. Also, life has changed over the last 20 years. Moms work more often. Family dynamics are different. 

It's a true story of how we shouldn't judge because we are all doing it the way we think is right.

But she judged and told me to get over it because 'we all sent our kids to all day care,' insinuating that I should too. Even though I don't want to. Yes, it'd make our lives easier day to day, especially during summer but it's not what we want to do. And that's OKAY!

Because it was our choice and we are thankful to have the ability for it to be this way. 

It's the same reason Molly Anne and Grady have only been in the same school for about 7 months of their life (corona year cut it short!) but oh boy it was grande while it lasted. When he goes to elementary school, things will be easier I think! We have made the best decision for each child that we thought was right, at the time. Plus, their 2 year 10 month age gap played into this. 

Same goes for extra-curriculars. Isn't it our job to give our children the opportunities (within reason) then let them decide what they like? Or maybe they never decide. I don't know, why do they have to? I don't think Molly Anne or Grady are going to be playing Major League Soccer so are two practices and a game per week at age 7 necessary? Maybe, maybe not. Where we live, it seems like if they haven't decided on a sport by 4th grade, they aren't playing in high school. That's ridiculous. I hope it changes. It wasn't like that where I grew up. I have to remind my competitive self that we aren't going to the Olympics any day soon.

Anyway, just a little post to follow your Mama heart. Do what you think is right. Don't feel pressure by others.

5 comments:

  1. It is so hard to parent children and not make comparisons. This is where all my Mom guilt comes from (it is my internal comparisons by the way). All decisions I make have been what is best from my husband and children at the time. My children are now 15 and 11. I have also learned what is best for one child isn't always the best for the other child. I learned this especially with school and my youngest.

    You have to trust your "Momma Gut" and do what is best with your family. What is best for one family isn't always best for another. You got this Mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are SO right about comparisons! Thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  2. I don't think that I have ever commented but this post deserved a comment. Of course I don't know your family, my comment is based strictly on your blog posts. I get the impression your children are confident and I admire that trait. I believe it is important for young children to feel and be confident, it helps them interact with the world around them, take chances and grow. So whatever you're doing to build that confidence your doing great job. You do whats best for your family, your family values. You and Kevin are doing a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, thank you so much for the kind note! I really appreciate the extra sweet compliment. All we can do is our best every day! :)

      Delete
  3. You're doing a great job, Mom!! You know if your heart what is best for your family!

    ReplyDelete