Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Life In Between

I turn 40 later this year and each year I still think I'm 25 years old living it up in downtown Charlotte, having just met Kevin, living in my new high rise condo and going out 5 nights a week. Life has definitely changed for the better especially when Molly Anne and Grady arrived!

A few weeks ago I was talking to one of my friends about being 40-ish and how it's such an interesting time of life. We have young children still and our parents are getting older. It’s also a time where I have a ton of responsibility at work after 17 years in the working world. 

Juggling all of that is hard. I live 8 hours from my parents. It’s not like I can just hop in a car weekly and help with appointments or other things. Like one of my coworkers told me - he felt like he hadn’t been a good caregiver to his parents. He ‘cared’ but he didn’t ‘give’ his time enough because of the distant. I feel this more and more as my parents get older and I’m in Charlotte with lots of moving parts.

Anyone else in this situation? Thankfully my parents have wonderful friends helping them out and I thank those friends but it doesn’t feel like enough. I wish I could wave a magic wand and get there in an hour. 

Do I wish they’d move closer to us for selfish reasons? Yes. Will they? Prob not! Their whole life is there and I get that. 

I’m just preaching to the choir. My parents already know all of this! Thought maybe someone else could relate.


1 comment: