Thursday, November 3, 2011

Easy Recipes, including pumpkin pudding!

Today I bring you lots of recipes of what's been cooking at my house over the past few weeks!  Yes, I try to cook most every night because why not?!  Cheaper and healthier than going out!  And duh I should be cooking.  And we have leftovers for lunch the next day.  Win win win.

Click on the links to get the recipe or I posted it below.

First up - Let the Tide Pull Your Dreams Ashore French Onion.  I think I may have already shared this but you should make it!  Easy and healthy.

Shrimp Red Curry
Saute strips of green pepper, onion, garlic and mushrooms.  Throw shrimp in.  Pour over the red curry sauce from Trader Joe's.  Serve over jasmine rice and I topped mine with fresh cilantro. 

Friday night homemade pizzas!  Dough from the grocery store and we cut it in half.  Kevin makes one and I make one.  I only use a bit of red sauce and otherwise just a little olive oil and always fresh garlic.  Sometimes I use pesto too.  Kevin stacks everything imaginable on his pizza, I typically only do cheese and maybe a tad pepperoni.  We love making these together on Friday nights.  And best part - always leftovers for Saturday lunch!

A Classy, Southern Wife Shrimp and Grits and a wedge salad.
- 1/2 cup chopped Canadian bacon (optional)
- 1 cup red bell pepper strips
- 1 cup green bell pepper strips
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilis, drained
- 1 1/2 lbs. medium shrip, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 2/3 cups fat free milk
- 1 (16 ounce) can fat free, less sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked quick cooking grits
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese


Preparation -
Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat 3 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Add bell peppers; cook 10 minutes, stirring occationally. Add tomatoes; cook 5 minutes. Add shrimp; cook 3 minutes. Stir in green onions, keep warm.

Combine milk and broth in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir in grits. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and cook for 5 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally. Stir in cheese. Serve shrimp mixture over grits.

And sometimes you just go the old standard route especially when I get home late from work and your sig other has made dinner.  Amen.  Hot dog, some fries with grease drained and baked beans with green onions on top.  On a plastic plate.  Love.

Crock pot chicken parm.  No recipe, just throw the chicken breasts in there in the morning, pour the some sauce over it and leave on low until you get home from work.  I put some mozz cheese on it and let it melt and wah-la, dinner is ready.  I'm sure I probably added a salad too.  I don't serve over noodles to cut out the carbs.

Quick Crab Bisque from the cookbook - "What's Cookin' in Onancock? On Virginia's Eastern Shore"
 - 1 can cream of tomato soup
 - 1 can cream of mushroom soup
 - 1 can cream of celery soup
 - 1 1/2 c. milk
 - 1/4 stick margarine
 - 1 lb. claw or regular crab meat
 - 2 TBS. sherry

Mix soups and milk thoroughly.  Add margarine.  Heat of low flame, do not boil.  Add crabmeat and sherry.  Heat.  Serves 4.

Standard Tacos - another Kevin staple that he can make without me home.  Taco meat drained and whatever else you have in your fridge to get rid of!  Lettuce, Kevin makes delish pico, light sour cream, mexi cheese.  The works.  Two tacos and dinner is done.

Pumpkin Pie Pudding from my sister in law Emily.  You will be obsessed.
 - (1) 3.4 oz. box Instant Butterscotch Pudding and Pie Filling
 - 1 1/2 c. cold nonfat milk
 - 1 15oz. can pure pumpkin
 - 2 tsp. vanilla
 - 1 tsp. cinnamon
 - 1/2 tsp ground giner
 - 1/4 tsp nutmeg

Whisk butterscotch pudding and milk for two minutes.  Stir in pumpkin, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg, blending well.  Pour into 4 dessert glasses or bowls.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.  Top with a dollop of fat free whipped topping or a few piecs of candy corn.  Only 171 calories per serving.  (Honestly I probably only have a half serving when I have some, it makes a lot!) 

6 comments:

  1. Mmmmm! I'm coming to your place for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We try and cook every night too. Brad cooks as well so we tag-team together or I do it or he does it. I should start blogging about some of my meals.
    I just get lazy! I did today though! :-)
    BTW - homemade pizza is our favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to cook more! These recipes are all so easy I need to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to try the Crab Bisque! I'm saving that for my meal tomorrow! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl, you have been busy! That French onion soup and pumpkin pudding look devine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious!!! Bryce and I have been trying to come up with some different ideas for dinners--I'll have to look into some of these!

    ReplyDelete