Thursday, April 7, 2016

The Great Debate - Kitchen Islands

Happy Birthday to my Dad!!!!  Yes, his birthday was the day after our wedding...probably his best birthday present was giving me away.  Ha!  We like to joke about that.  He can tell you how many steps to the alter it was. ;)

-----------------

Well after a big poll on the facebook group moms in charge, I think we've pretty much decided to go with the sink in our island versus on the outside wall looking toward the backyard.  I know a house is all about how you and your family live so I guess it's to each their own.  

When I lived at the Avenue, the sink was in my island and I loved it.  I always stood there and faced out to my living area or to the people sitting at the bar in front of me.  I think it's the right option for us.  

So our next big debate is an uninterrupted island like this....

or a raised bar like this.

I know the uninterrupted island is very "in" right now.  I get it, it's gorgeous.  It really is.  But there is something about sitting up at a bar in the kitchen or standing at it and leaning over that I love.  I imagine Molly Anne in 6 years sitting up there doing her homework.  Our island will be about 9' wide and 6' deep so it would look similar to the picture above if we went with the bar height counter.  

Another reason people like the bar height is to hide dishes at the sink.  We don't ever really have dishes piled up unless we are hosting a party but they can fit in the sink as well because we are going to do a farmhouse sink like the above.  

I don't know.  Tell me your thoughts.  I'm still not married to either idea yet but we are leaning towards the bar height versus the uninterrupted.  

12 comments:

  1. We have the bar style and it works for us. We also move the chairs away and use it as a buffet station when we have parties. And yes, it does hide some of the mess in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents have their sink in the bar and it is also raised. They really like it, and it is nice to hide the kitchen messes. Also,great decision to have the sink in the bar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you don't need the extra storage and feel like you would sit at the bar then go with that :) Only YOU know how you use your kitchen. I did mine uninterrupted only because we only had two walls of storage and I have a lot of kitchen stuff! My mom had the raised bar and we never sat at it too so I made the decision based on that too. Go with what YOU like and you'll never be disappointed. It's going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a hard decision, I like both options. My mom has a raised bar and we use that as the "kids table" at Thanksgiving! Jess at Just Jess

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had both and while I love the large uninterrupted island I currently had I prefer the raised bar island. I like that I could have a small mess below and you would not see it from the other room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bar height, hands-down. It's the best for entertaining (IMO)and like you said...a great "work space" for homework, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  7. My aunt has the island with a bar and it's perfect. Especially if you do a potluck type of dinner, you sent it up on that and it's a perfect height. As for the sinks...I would do two! One smaller on on the island and one larger one facing outside. It looks awesome and it so helpful to have two sinks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always think the full slab and a sink allows for water to get everywhere. I think I like the raised bar option!! Hides the mess if needed. So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have the uninterrupted, and I love it! I feel like its easier to clean because you can just wipe it down in one fell swoop. And I also like it for parties...you can fit all of the food on there easily! But we also don't have a sink on our island, so maybe that makes a difference. I do like the height option too! Sorry, I am no help, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I prefer the idea of an uninterrupted island, especially when thinking of entertaining and wanting to put a spread out on the island.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We did a raised bar, primarily to hide dishes at parties. In real life though, I prefer it so my kids can eat breakfast or snack tbere, play with toys and have their "own" area. Their stuff stays contained and doesn't spread all over "my" area of food/dishes/what have you. I don't care for sinks in islands, but I guess that's a personal preference.

    ReplyDelete