Thursday, August 1, 2013

Dee's Adventures - Favorite Western NC Destinatio​ns

Thanks to Classic Annie for letting me guest post here today.

If you don't read my blog, Dee's Adventures, then you probably don't know that I'm a true lover of the mountains and everything outdoor.
I specifically moved to North Carolina partly because of the quality of life when it comes to access to the high country.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So, today, may or may not be your cup of tea, but my 'favorite' things post is about my 3 favorite destinations in Western North Carolina.

#1. Highlands/Cashiers
This place is my VERY favorite.
From waterfalls, to cute shops, great restaurants, inns and scenic byways, it's the ultimate in destinations.
The first time I ever went there I thought I was back in Northern California because of how lush it is.
Check out my posts about the area here and here.
If you're looking for another place to stay near the Highlands that's affordable and good for kids check out The Dillard House right over the Georgia border.
I guarantee.
This place does NOT disappoint!

#2. Linville and Grandfather Mountain
I have spent more time in Avery County, NC (home of Linville and Grandfather Mountain) than any other area.
If we could afford to build a mountain home of our dreams this would be near the top of our list.
It has hiking trails, upon hiking trails, not to mention all the best NC ski resorts(that they are THAT great, but still), are in that area.
It's just a special place to me.
Maybe because it was my first ridonkulous hike that I ever did when moving here.
HELLO Grandfather Mountain trail!
Just check out that, of many, ladders!

#3. Lake James
I haven't spent as much time here as I would like but it is hands down where we would build a house if we won the lotto tomorrow.
Lake, mountains, PARADISE!
Not to mention great hiking any season.
Click here to see my post about a day visit there.
I hope to go back soon.
There you have it!
North Carolina has so many beautiful places to offer visitors and residents.
I hope you will take my advice and visit!

6 comments:

  1. I discovered Linville last year and am in LOVE. I will definitely have to check out the Highlands area! Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That first picture looks beautiful! Waterfalls?! That would be the perfect place for a hike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you on this one! My family has a house in Cashiers and it was one of my favorite places growing up! These are definitely some of my favorite NC mountain areas too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great locations! Such pretty options......I'd have to see them all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are all such gorgeous areas! I couldn't agree more - so much wonderfulness to find in a short drive in North Carolina.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! My husband is a mountain man and loves the Avery county area. He wants to go up and hike the Grandfather Trails. We're such a Green Acres couple though. I prefer a penthouse view. ha! He's been working on the Sugar Mtn Ski Patrol for a few years, too. Sugar is the BEST skiing in NC.

    ReplyDelete