Friday, August 3, 2012

Charlotte B Cycle

Tara's Mom asked if we'd like to be part of the kick off to Charlotte's B Cycle which is a bike share program.  I didn't hesitate to say yes because I love stuff like this! 

So on Tuesday night, we showed up and they gave us a t-shirt and we biked around Charlotte in massive groups! 
Kim and Tara
David had a special part in the program as he did all of the engineering and project management on actually installing each station.  Cool right?!
Jenn and David
 We set out and rang our lil bells as we cruised uptown Charlotte breaking in the new bikes!

The point of the bikes is not to go get one and cruise around, the point is to limit people driving, make people exercise and have less pollutants in the air.  So for example, I live uptown and say I wanted to ride to Metropolitan to go to Target.  Well I'd go pay my $8 24 hour membership, get the bike, ride to Target and then click it in the station there.  That way I'd be under my 30 minute maximum.  If you go to 31 minutes, you get charged an overage fee of $4. 

All of the riding teams met at Trade and Tryon and they had a short program with speakers and the news was there. 
Me, Tara, Kim
 Then we rode all over uptown and 4th Ward promoting the program and parked our bikes at 7th and Tryon.

Very fun!  Does your city have a bike share program?  Would you use it here in Charlotte if you live here?

4 comments:

  1. What a cool idea! If I didn't just move I would so try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! So it's $8/half hour though to rent? That seems sort of high. But I love the idea of the program! Hope it's a success- please keep us updated.

    KK

    ReplyDelete