Monday, October 29, 2012


Let's start with last Wednesday night.  Kevin and I had dinner at Basil at the bottom of our condo building.  It was where we hit it off initially, where we went on our first date and all of our anniversaries since.  Also went there the night of our first wedding shower.  So it was only right that we went full circle and had dinner there the night before our house closing!
Thursday morning our cars were packed to the brim as we headed to closing.  This is the sweet lady who we bought the house from.  She and her husband had built the house in 1999.  Now that it's just her, the home was too big and she moved to an assisted living home.  She is 91 and sharp as a tack!  She knew every single thing the closing attorney told her! 
She kept saying how glad she was that "a couple like us" got the home and how much love and happiness was in the home.  We promised to continue their tradition!  And of course we invited her to come visit any time and I think Kevin and I found a new adopted grandmother to go visit with at her new place! 
Thursday afternoon we had a mattress, fridge, washer and dryer delivered.  It was a busy afternoon at the house but nothing like Friday was!  Thursday evening, Kevin's parents came over and the guys did yard work and his Mom and I lined the shelves in the kitchen and bathroom.  What a huge job that was. 
I met the movers at the condos bright and early Friday morning.  We got to the house around 12:30 and they started unloading! 
This was when they were almost finished.  That truck was FULL!
Our first meal in our new home - chinese take out with Kevin's parents!  I know the dining room table is way too small for the room but that stuff will come.  We have to recover from actually purchasing the home first!  Let's just say this - we have A LOT of furniture to buy.  We basically moved a one bedroom condo into a 4,000+ square foot house! 
 Isn't this amazing?  This is the sunset from our dining room!
Both Friday and Saturday Kevin's parents were over there with us too.  They were an AMAZING help.  Seriously, we couldn't have done it without them.  His Dad worked in the yard with Kevin and his Mom and I did the inside.  We were productive!  Thank you all sooooooooo much.  We just can't thank you enough!
One of the things Kevin talked about for months was building a fire pit the first weekend he was in the house.  That he did!  His brother helped him and they used all the excess stone in the yard from when the seller had a pool (they filled it in about a year ago).  Anyway, Kevin was super excited about this fire pit.  He made a fire Saturday night and Sunday afternoon/night.
Between lots of trips to Lowes and Target, we are pretty well settled.  We worked hard for 3 days straight! 
Of course I still have a bunch of stuff up at the condo since that's where I technically live.  But it was cool to move most of my stuff to the house so it's Kevin's and my home from the beginning instead of Kevin's house that I move into in 5 months.
So, here's to new beginnings! 


Dee Stephens said...

I bet you are SORE today?! Moving is SUCH chore! Ya'll will be SOOO glad you're doing this BEFORE the wedding versus waiting until after. At least you'll have tons of room for all the fabulous wedding gifts you're set to receive :)

megan said...

How exciting! However, I do not miss moving and unpacking at all. Can't wait for the tour! :)

xx BHB said...

Congratulations!! From what we've seen already it looks gorgeous :)

Glitterista said...

Yay! The house looks great already, and I'd love to sit at that fire pit. :)

Carolina Charm said...

What a busy and productive moving weekend! Who did you use for movers, and do you recommend them?

Also, I feel the same way about the furniture! We are selling all of our current stuff and getting new stuff. Kinda overwhelming, but exciting too.

Lexilooo said...

hooray! happy new house!

April of A. Liz Adventures said...

I'm so excited for your new adventure! I love that ya'll have a photo with the previous sweet owner of your new home. I was looking forward to meeting our home's previous owners at our closing, but they were already in FL and just gave their realtor power of attorney. Boo.

As you start to make your home your own, take LOTS of pictures -- even the mundane things, like the lawn! It will be fun to see how far you and Kevin come with making it your place.

Miss Southern Prep said...

I bet you're SO sore! I was sore after I moved all my stuff into my apartment at school, so I can't even imagine a house haha!

I love the picture you took with the owner of the home--so sweet! I can't wait to hear about all of the wonderful memories you and Kevin fill your beautiful house with!

erin - heart in ireland said...

yay! sounds like a super productive weekend! congrats on the house!

and i love the picture with the previous owner. how cute!

erica said...

Isnt moving the worst! I am moving on the 7th and our stuff is going into storage - I will be living with my parents until my husband and I can get into the new house. Its a big 'ol mess lol. xx

Let The Tide Pull Your Dreams Ashore said...

Congrats!!!! Moving was such a process but so nice when it was all over. It's SO funny bc my mom also helped me line the kitchen drawers and that took a lot longer than I thought it would. Cheers to many more memories in your new home. xx

Calvin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Calvin said...

I can say that moving to a new house is tiring, but I guess it's not as tedious as house hunting. Haha! It's almost been a year, Annie, I wonder if your unit has already been sold. I saw it on your previous posts and I'm wondering if somebody bought it. The new owner of that apartment will be very happy to stay in such a fabulous place. :)