Thursday, May 11, 2017

House Updates - Sliding Glass Doors

This week's big decision is all about sliding glass doors!  And we have three options - good, better, best.  They also rank like this - $, $$, $$$.  Know what I'm saying?!  So tell me what you would do!

Here's the set up - we have a 12' wide opening between our den and covered porch.  We imagine opening that up to have a large, combined open area of these two spaces.  The only thing is that we would probably only use it in the spring and fall because of how hot summer gets here.  The 12' opening sounds super cool and amazing but let's be honest of exactly how many days in the year we will use it.  We are really trying to build our house not for the 5 times a year we entertain but for the other 360 days of normal day to day practicality.  Not to mention, it costs a lot more.  Maybe I'm trying to convince myself that Option 1 is okay?  Anyway, let me know your thoughts!  

Option 1 -
This is what is included in our budget/loan.  The two center panels move, the side ones stay stationary and open to be 6' wide and the doors would pretty much look exactly like this.

Option 2 - 
This would be about a $3k-4k add to our budget.  Three panels would fold to the side and one would be stationary, giving us 9' of open width.  

Option 3 - 
This becomes even more complicated because these doors can fold like shown below or they can go into a pocket door.  This involved changing our framing and building walls out to accommodate the doors and tracks.  Actually option 2 does too, hence the large increase in cost from option 1.  This is roughly an $8k add.  But how awesome would this be?!!!  $8,000 awesome?  I am kinda thinking - not so much.  

(all images are via Pinterest)

Sooooooo what would you do and why?!!

15 comments:

  1. I actually would go with option 1! While 2 and 3 would be nice it just doesn't seem practixal especially with our weather. If you are dying to have one that opens all the way then go with option 2. But I really like the look of option 1!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look of number 1 for the price. When we lived in Phoenix a friend had number 3 and it was perfect for out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think in this case function over form wins. While being able to open the whole thing up looks neat, it's just not practical in the south. We've been leaving our back porch door cracked open since the puppy and let me tell you. The room is always either hot and muggy or freezing. And the flies! Grrrrr. Go with option 1. I like how they slide open from the center.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with option 1 as well. I also like how it keeps the doors centered on the living room space and porch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would also go with Option 1. We have a similar set up and love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All look beautiful but I think bugs and it makes it way less cool! I'd stick with option one unless you're able to do some sort of screen. The house looks gorgeous so far by the way! (just catching up on my blogs now haha)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also vote for option 1! I think option 2 is too busy. The 3rd option is cool but not worth $8000 for all the reasons other people say :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the look of option 1, and it still gives you the open feel you're going for! Plus... the price is on point!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am with the others--Option 1. I would not want to make my budget wonky over something that truthfully you would not get a whole lot of function out of.
    One of the few drawbacks to living in the South is how long it stays HOT.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty! Your porch -- you say covered. Is it screened in? If not, I'd go with option 1 just for this reason: BUGS. Trust me, you don't want flies and mosquitos and bees and hornets in your home constantly. Now, if it's screened, I say go for option 2, it is LOVELY! And $3k in the long term won't be that much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like option 1. I think it is the most aesthetically pleasing for the style of your home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Option 1. No brainer! (BUT - as always - you can't go wrong with any of these options!) EEEEEEK!!!!!!! SO excited to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  13. When replacing your windows, it isn't necessary to choose the most expensive materials possible. There are many great choices when it comes to windows and the materials used to manufacture them. vinyl replacement windows

    ReplyDelete