Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Molly Anne Updates

Without the monthly updates, I don't even remember to post little details about our Molly Anne!  I still want to remember these stages!  She will be 14 months on Sunday!

1.  She still eats anything but it has changed over the last month to not being able to feed her anything.  She refuses to eat off a spoon that I feed her with so basically applesauce and yogurt are out unless they're in a pouch.  It does change a few things on meals and most food has to be "pick up food" so our Miss Independent can feed herself.  I guess we need to start using utensils soon?!  I don't cut everything into tiny pieces any more.  If it's soft, I let her bite off of it.  Unless it's something like string cheese which I'm paranoid will get stuck in her throat.  I still cut grapes and things like that too.  Sandwiches - I'll just give them to her in quarters.  



2.  She's still taking two naps a day.  I pretty much let Becky rule the roost on that mainly because she's done this childcare thing for 30 years and I've done it for 1 and she has her for 5 days a week and I have her for 2.  Molly Anne's doc also said hold on to two naps as long as possible as long as they don't interfere with her nighttime sleep and they haven't soooo.  They both are aiming for 18 months, we'll see.  After this past weekend (and not taking an afternoon nap either day) I'm not sure what to do. That was also due to weird circumstances so who knows.  I'm sure she'll be back to her normal self at Becky's house!  Night sleep - she's in the bed by 7p latest and up at 6:30a.  

3.  She isn't walking yet but on Sunday she stood for the first time by herself, unprompted.  She was sitting at Mills' bed and she just stood up.  Kevin and I were shocked.  Then she fell haha.  She will walk holding onto our fingers but that's about it.  I was sorta getting a complex about it because I see much younger children walking but I cannot compare!!  My child will walk when she's ready.  And she doesn't need any more speed than she already has.  Man, she gets where she needs to go and FAST.  



4.  Childproofing - this is a weird thing that I know some feel differently about.  I honestly do not want those locks all over every drawer and cabinet in our house and we keep her pretty corralled as it is.  It's not like I just let her do whatever she wants all over our house for an hour ya know.  I do understand medicines and chemicals are a big deal.  So are the wine bottles that she has almost pulled off the wine rack once.  They may need to be placed elsewhere for a year or two.  We ended up buying a baby gate and I put it on our guest bedroom door that we use as a playroom.  It's a pretty much a safe place to put her for now. She can't get into the bathroom (yet!) because we close that door and the other door has the baby gate.  She wasn't interested in the door being shut because she felt closed off, plus I wanted to hear her if I was cooking dinner.  So that's working for now but I know it'll change in the future with each new phase.  Please don't tell me I'm a terrible mother for not wanting locks on every drawer, mmmkay thanks.  

5.  Speaking of being a terrible mother, we quit swim lessons.  Honestly, I needed a break.  It was A LOT and took up a whole Thursday morning every week.  PS I do work full time.  I was literally running out of there to jump on conference calls.  And rushing to get her to Becky's so I could do something for work.  It was just hard.  Yes I feel major guilt about it but it's okay, I'm slowly getting over it.  We'll probably start back in December or January because she really does love the pool.  In the meantime, I signed her up for Music Class starting in a couple of weeks and I'm very excited about that.  I know she will love it.  It's much closer to our home and Becky's so it'll be convenient.  



6.  Stats - she weighs 22 pounds with clothes on and is 30.5" long.  Size 4 diaper.  Size 12m clothes.  Some 18m bubbles.  Her hair has gotten so blonde.  And we're still trying to figure out who the father is haha.  Joking.  Kevin likes to tell people that because she looks nothing like him!!  Well, she is super tan so maybe she gets that from him?  Or my Dad or brother?

7.  I kinda gave an update on words last week but she is huge into waving bye and saying Bye and Hi with a wave.  She is starting to blow kisses but she kinda doesn't get the blowing part, she just sticks her hand up to her mouth so far.  She's also into shaking her head yes and no.  Molly Anne, do you want more milk?  She'll shake no haha.  It's pretty funny.  We didn't do the sign language thing but girlfriend can shake that head!  We can't WAIT for her to talk.  She has a lot to say, I just know it.  

8.  Not really a Molly Anne update but 18,000 people have asked when we will have our second (and last!) child.  Well, I don't know but I'll let yall know when that happens!  Mom even said something to Dad last weekend that Molly Anne needed a little brother.  I'm sorry but no more golden retrievers at our house for a few years Mama! ;)



9.  Toys - she's very into Little People, trucks that move like this one, little figurines things like these that my SIL gave her, riding in her car, playing peekaboo with her bath towel (LOVES it), watching Elmo with Kevin, being upside down (she has always loved this) and anything water related

That's all I can think of right now!  I'll be glad to look back on this one day.  I love all of the monthly updates so I hope to keep these up every two or three months!


12 comments:

  1. Don't let anyone make you feel bad about the child locks! We don't do them either and it totally depends on the child. That said, MG proving to be more able and interested than Benjamin ever was, so I may end up with them after all (boo).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I don't have kids yet but my mom always jokes with my friends that do about how some of the "new" baby rules just make things difficult for no reason! She says she raised us (my sister and I are 18 months apart) sleeping with crib bumpers, no sound machine and no internet-- and we're still kickin! So you do you! Only you know what's best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't big on child locks either. We placed a few (only 4) on 1 cabinet that store all glass cookware and 3 on lower cabinets that store chemicals. You have to do what works best for your house and family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We didn't go crazy with babyproofing either. When we moved into our new house last year, Freddy was 20 months old. We never put baby gates on the stairs at our new house and everything has been fine. We don't have any cabinets locked, we just put the cleaning supplies and dangerous stuff where he can't reach. Because inevitably, you will be going to someone's house that isn't baby proofed, and these babies need to learn that some things are just off limits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I was just writing one for Annalee for 14/15 months b/c I missed looking back on the monthly updates. Molly Anne is so perfect - don't you worry about the walking. Miss Annalee didn't roll over until she was probably 8 months old and I remember worrying too. I barely remember it now. We also don't have our house baby proofed. We learned that if we just left things as they were, she eventually just left them alone. They aren't as much fun as her toys -for the most part. ha! We basically have a rubber-band around the knobs to under the sink and that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know your kid best - you do what works for you!!! That goes for babyproofing, swim lessons, not knowing if Kevin is related to her LOL kidding on that last one :) You're doing great

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's hard not comparing babies - and I have to remind myself of that ALL the time. And, a lot of my older cousins remind me, it's such a "first time mom" thing. By our last kids, we'll be begging them to hold off on crawling, walking, talking, whatever!!!! My mom just this morning started hinting at another baby but I'm still not quite ready!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We haven't done child locks yet either. It isn't like we aren't watching our children, right?! I think it is good for them to explore, and I just keep moving all the breakables and dangerous things higher and higher! Maybe I do need locks...
    It sounds like a good call on the swim lessons. I think people put so much artificial pressure on themselves and really our babies don't care that much either way. I get super anxious about milestones too, but my husband always laughs it off. MA will walk in her own time. She is growing fast enough as it is! Such a cutie! You are doing good, mama!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those pigtails on her!! As for baby proofing, I think so much depends on the kid. With M, we needed to very little. We told her no, and she got it and moved on. T on the other hand is into EVERYTHING and he is nonstop. We have had to buy a few new sets of locks and gates for him or else I would get nothing done all day because I'd have to have my eyes glued to him all day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My daughter is just over 2 now and we haven't done the baby-proofing either! I was feeling like a horrible parent but honestly it hasn't seemed to be an issue!

    We also dropped swimming lessons for similar reasons, it was super hectic trying to make the schedule work, and honestly at this age Sydney is very comfortable and familiar with the water and I think she will get more out of it in a few more months when we can start to work on actual swimming. Just gotta do what is best for your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Babyproofing totally depends on the child so you should not feel any angst about it - you know your house and your baby so doing the bare minimum of what is needed keeps everyone happier!

    As for walking - you are right, don't rush it! LOL! But as soon as weather is cooler and she is not in the Jack Rodgers as much, she will be running! They are cute as all get out, but the flappy sole is not very good for kids who are cruising or learning to walk, it just trips them up - which may be why she is content to crawl. And as much as I do not want to see summer end (waaahh!), it will come to a close soon and all of our sandals and flip flops will have to hibernate for the winter. Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We never babyproofed --- no lie. Catie is 16 and going strong. Swim lessons? Too tiring!! Haha! Seriously my Catie was too skinny and kept having blue lips in a heated pool in July so the teachers kept making me get her out! She learned in a warm water pool at a rehab center!
    MA is adorable ��

    ReplyDelete