Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Things I've Learned in Business

I was driving around doing work last week and I was just thinking about things that have worked well for me over the years. And things that haven't. I'm not a pro but I've been in the business world for almost 20 years now and I've seen some things. But I kept making a list in my head of things I don't want to forget. So here it is:

1. Treat everyone the same. I'm in the commercial real estate business. We are the owner so we build for national retailers but we also hire a lot of people to help us. We all put our pants on the same way. 

2. No titles. Why do people have titles? Our company used to not have them when I started (ya know back in 2007!) but they've happened over the years maybe because the business world thinks we should have them to validate people's jobs? No title in my email signature. Maybe that changes one day but I'm kind of a big believer in this.

3. Pitch in - be the one the just gets it done. No need to always have others do it all for you. I learn from the best on this. There is one person I work with who does this better than anyone I know. 

4. Always do the right thing - yep sometimes it's hard to make that phone call to say you messed up but do it anyway. People respect you more. I'll own it. Makes me better long term. No one is perfect. Most things are fixable any way. 

5. Be honest. I'm in a guy's world with what I do. Tell them straight up what you want to see. I don't like fluff. Give it to me straight. We are not in the make people feel good world. I live in the get it done world so we can make money. But sure, be nice along the way, of course! As a female in this land, I've had to pony up sometimes my friends!

I'm still learning every day. It's good to do and be open to. And yep tomorrow is a new day for us all! Whew! Thankful for that some days more than others!

No comments:

Post a Comment