Thursday, December 6, 2012

Recipe - Lasagna Soup

Last year or maybe it was the year before, I made a new type of soup every Sunday during the winter months.  It was fun and we discovered some new ones we liked and some we didn't. 
 
This past Sunday I knew I wanted to try something new.  (Side note - I really haven't been motivated to cook much in this new house so I knew I needed to step it up whether I wanted to or not). 
 
Anyway, I went to my Pinterest Soup board and saw this Light Lasagna Soup recipe.  It was so good.  Kevin even said he may like it better than chili which he requests to be made every week if that tells you how much he likes chili.  So since this recipe was such a winner, I figured I'd share with yall!  The calories really aren't bad at all - under 300 - look at the link below!
 
Original recipe here but below is how I made it.
 
Ingredients:
pam
1 pound sausage
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (32-ounce) container chicken broth (low sodium)
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
4 ounces broken whole-wheat lasagna noodles (about 4 noodles)
less than 1/4 cup of dried basil
3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
Instructions:
Pam a large nonstick saucepot or Dutch oven and set on medium-high heat. Add the sausage, onion, and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the sausage is crumbled and browned, 8 – 10 minutes. (I cooked the sausage completely through before adding onion and garlic).

Add the broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, salt, and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the flavors are blended, about 20 minutes. Add the noodles; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the soup thickens slightly and the noodles are tender, 10 – 12 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in mozzarella, basil, and the Parmesan. (whole-wheat lasagna noodles take a little longer to cook.)

2 comments: