Thursday, August 30, 2018

On Going Back to Work

I go back to work on Tuesday.  I can barely talk about it.  But I need to talk about it so here it goes:

Going back to work after two children is much harder than after one.

Hardly any of my friends work which makes it a bit harder.  

I was off for almost 17 weeks and it was GLORIOUS.

I had both children for a good part of the summer and I loved (mostly) every minute of it.  I truly got a taste of being a stay at home mom.  

Never potty train a child when you have a 5 week old.  

I know I will be fine going back to work after I get back in the swing of things.  30 days is a typical adjustment period and that'll be about what it takes.

Yes, I will still be traveling.  No, I don't have a clue how this will work as far as taking and picking up children from two different places.  I've traveled for 13 years but this will certainly be the biggest challenge thus far.  

I'm excited to go back to work in some ways because I love what I do and who I work with.  

I don't think Kevin is thrilled about me going back but he's supportive of me wanting to work.

Some days I don't want to go back to work ever.  But I like full time daycare option for both children HAHA!  But honestly, what would I do with myself?  I had a taste of this the last two weeks with both children at daycare and I was thinking about potentially getting bored with another week like that.

The guys I work with are amazing and will take it easy on me as I make this transition back.  

I feel like I really got to be around for Grady's first 4 months and for big transitions for Molly Anne.  This was so important to me.  And I'm incredibly thankful we could make it happen.  

We have a big shebang this weekend to close out summer.  And to close out the last time I will ever be off for months at a time while I still have a job to go back to.  

I have a big gulp in my throat writing this.  I'm sad but excited for our new normal.  All the emotions.  If you see me on Tuesday, warning - I may be a disaster! 

10 comments:

  1. You remind me so much of a younger version of myself. Going back to work IS tough!! That said, you've worked hard for that engineering degree and you have a lot to offer the working world. Plus what a wonderful example you are showing both kids. I'm also an engineer with two kids. They are 11 & 9 now and while I thought it would get easier when they got older (it doesn't, the challenges just change!), there are still days I want to throw the towel in. Hang in there, you will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! It is wonderful that you were able to take so much time off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went back to work this week and it's been an adjustment that's for sure. My mom is watching Elsie which I'm SO thankful for but she doesn't know my mom that well and has been slow to warm up to her. I don't know what I would do without Theo in the afternoons. He's such a huge help. I like what you said about it taking 30 days to adjust. I also feel the same way about working. I really don't despise working and it's why I went to school! I also think working makes me a better mom. Good luck going back to work! Grady is so lucky he had you home for so long! But you know he'll be in the best hands!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure once you get back into your work routine you will realize how much you love your job and how exciting your career is. I'm sure the transition may take a bit, but will be great in the long run!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be praying for your comfort as you make this transition. As soon as you are back you will be so happy that you returned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck!! I also found going back after the second sooo much harder than the first. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Going back to work with 2 littles (mine are 3.5 and almost 2) is no joke. Mine are also at 2 different daycares. But like you I have a flexible job that is so accommodating with great coworkers/benefits. I also love full time daycare haha! It is tiring to always keep organized (or try at least), and have schedules everywhere but you get used to it! You will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You’ve got this! It’s funny because my two close friends with children both went back to work, so I always feel like the odd one out! I know you’ll do great, and once you get in the swing of things, it will be easier. I’ll definitely be thinking of you Tuesday though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Working moms are my heroes. Hands down. It will be hard but it will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It can be really really hard when a lot of your friends don't work outside of the home. That being said, you've got a big tribe of internet pals who are Moms working in a corporate environment. It's really hard but you'll make it work!

    ReplyDelete