Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Last Time vs. This Time

Grady is three weeks old today!  Ahhhh.

Thought it’d be fun to chat about the things I’m doing the same and things I’m doing differently this time around after having Molly Anne almost three years ago and Grady three weeks ago!

We quickly distinguished day from night for him once we got home.  I’m a crib day one person and was with Molly Anne too.  I just use the monitor and get up and go in his room to feed him each time.  It isn't a huge deal to walk down the hall to do this.  We've done a couple crib naps when we are home and it's easy to do.  Crib is the safest place for him and I personally think it's best to have him in there.  Yep, even with my c-section that first week my rear rolled out of bed every time to go feed him, haha!

Last time it was a party of visitors in the hospital room and at home every day.  Not this time.  Physically I haven't been able to do that and I just have really enjoyed the quiet time.  I feel kinda badly about it but at the same time, I have had to get better.

I'm not boiling bottles every day this time but we had an instant boiling water dispenser put into this house when we were building it and it's the best thing ever.  Faster and easier than a dishwasher!  

I'm team no pacifier because Molly Anne never took one.  Talk to me in a month.  We'll see if this stays the same.  

I don't really believe in a ton of sleep assistance like the dock a tot, sleep sack, sound machine.  Never say never.  We'll see, I may come back on this but I didn't do any of this with Molly Anne and she's always been a good sleeper.  I do a swaddle for sure, especially this young!  

Not using my old Bella Tunno diaper bag.  Instead I'm using this bag and it's been perfect so far!  I'm not carrying a ton of stuff for Grady - basically diapers, wipes, disposable changing pad cover, change of clothes, a bottle and a formula container.  I have a few arts and crafts that I keep in there for Molly Anne too.  

We've had a night nurse once a week this time and it's been a lifesaver.  Kevin is working his tail off and isn't getting up in the middle of the night and I haven't been able to nap during the day.  I know it's temporary so for now I'm pushing the easy button and being thankful for the one night a week of real sleep.

If anyone tells me that Grady is a different child than Molly Anne again then I may go crazy.  I'm aware.

I did Moms on Call last time and I'm doing it again this time but I'm not a crazy person quite yet about it.  He's still so little!  I do believe in getting him on a schedule and getting him to sleep.  Everyone thrives on a schedule and babies grow and develop when they sleep.  It's important.  We started the nighttime routine a few days ago and that's about all I'm doing at this point.  I'll let Ms. Becky deal with getting him on a nap schedule when he goes to her (this is what I did last time).  

I took 12 weeks maternity leave with Molly Anne and I'm taking longer this go around.  I need to be around the month of August for a couple of reasons but mainly because there is a lot of transition for Molly Anne and I want to be available for all of that to be sure it goes smoothly.  Grady will be taking her place at Becky's and she is going to a new school that will be more educational and less day care....something she really needs!  


I think that's all I've got for now.  Let me know if you have any comments and I'll answer them in another post.    

3 comments:

  1. I've never understood the sound machines and such. Isn't that just setting them up to need something to sleep for the rest of their lives??? A night nurse sounds like heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never gave my daughter a pacifier. It was one less thing to deal with; making sure she had one, keeping track of them and having to take it away later. No thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oliver never took a paci which was a blessing in disguise because I've seen way too many kids have the hardest time giving up their pacis!

    ReplyDelete